Saturday, January 3, 2009

Building plan for a toy Gyro-Kite

Do-it-yourself Gyro-kite plan from Popular Science magazine
Do-it-yourself Gyro-kite plan from Popular Science magazine
A few months ago, I sorted some boxes labeled "throw-away junks" from my garage. These boxes contain broken electronic gadgets, broken toys, old magazines ..etc. Being a concerned individual that cares about the environment, I spent time sorting the content of the boxes and segregated the degradable from non-degradable junks. Items that can still be converted into cash at the junk shop was also separated.

It was on the box containing old newspapers and magazines that I came across with an old issue of Popular Science magazine dated August 1956. My attention was particularly caught by the article on how to build a toy Gyro-Kite out of balsa wood, wire and cardboard. I recalled then that an elder cousin of mine has tried building it long time ago.I just cannot remember if he was successful in flying it.

Weeks ago, the same cousin of mine who now resides in another country, came home for a vacation in our town. I was able to ask him about the Gyro-Kite and he confirmed with me that he was successful in building it but was not so successful in keeping it airborne for longer time. He suspected maybe something is wrong with the plan. Now, he even wondered if the project was really tested by Popular Science tech people and witnessed it fly!

Today, I am thinking of trying my luck in building it. Being a hobbyist myself, I will try modifying some specs and see if I can find success better than my cousin. The scanned pages of the Gyro-Kite plan from the old magazine is a bit poor. Sorry, I will try to post the complete and better picture of the plan next time. I wonder if anybody has ever tried building the same toy kite from the same plan. Or maybe, there's somebody out there who is interested in giving me some assistance, especially on how to make this kite fly longer if ever I will be able to build it?

2 comments:

  1. I promise I will try to post a clearer picture of the construction plan of the Gyro-Kite. Those who are interested can email me or post their comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do a google search on the headline " whirling rotors lift this gyro-kite" it will take you to the archived article.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!

Links