Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My ECI days. Part 1

 KFC Special Projects Team




It is not so very often that one is being offered opportunities to expand himself to a very different field of his expertise. One should therefore find it best to always be prepared for anything under the sun as the changes are never-ending for one's entire lifetime.

Looking back, I was somehow amazed at what I have been through before I finally settled down to managing a self-business. Though I know the list is really "not exceptional" as there are more people, especially nowadays, that have gone to more than I have been through. Nevertheless, I pride myself to what I have accomplished.

My first job is being a plumber, then I turned electrical maintenance(apprentice), instrumentation personnel, warehouse man (later warehouse manager), logistics manager, chicken production special project manager & fast food transportation manager.

Those are different jobs that some are almost entirely not connected with one another. And, those job changes took place in a span of 15 years. The first few jobs are more of a case of "incidental". One job ends, another one opens! Later positions are mostly on the same company and acquired "out-of-necessity" on the part of management. Somebody has to fix something. And, someone has to keep things going! And, that "best person" (as seen by the higher ups) is ME! So my later responsibilities are actually acquired out of necessity on the side of the company. There are new applicants and new hirees of course, but somehow eventually, the responsibilities fell on me!

How does one prepares for the changes? I should say, preparation on my first few manual jobs were acquired "at home". My Dad taught me a lot of things - "hands-on". That plus the things I learned from the school. Hence, when I was offered to handle my first "dirty" work, as a plumber, I never gave it a second thought.. I grew up practically with a hammer, a plier, & a screwdriver at my hands! For the "matured" positions, from supervisorship to managerial, I am thankful to Zuellig Pharma for all the learnings. Almost every 3 months, we are thrown into a continuous barrage of seminars and personality enhancement & that made me to what I am until the time I decided to call it quit on being an employee and then turned myself into being a businessman.

About the photo above, it was just to remind me of one job that is completely way out of what I am doing. I am handling a nationwide delivery of dry & frozen cargoes for a fastfood company. This position was on top of the warehousing function I handled. Then, came the offer to study chicken farming & chicken cutting production! Did I turned it down? Of course not, I took the job and added to my knowledge tons of knowledge including how to determine if a day-old chick is male or a female; how to select a group of chicken that is ripe for harvesting just by looking at their built and random weighing by "hands". How about trying to reduce the chicken's feed consumption by culling those that will not grew bigger anymore and allow the healthy ones to grew faster. Then, there's the challenge of learning how to properly cut a chicken into specified nos of pieces each part with specific weight each!

Okay..I got to stop here. I know you already got the idea. My advise to all the viewers, just be prepared. There's nothing wrong in being over-prepared than being under prepared!

Hello, to my teamates! Liza, Fe, Dory, Tom & Co.- Charlie P.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, man! I do not envy you, but I hope I can also be as strong as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea of going into backward integration. I know for a fact that chicken supplies are scarce during christmas holidays. Vegetable supplies apparently are coming from mountain province and once roads are flooded and dangerous to traverse, supplies are affected. How do you solve that?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!

Links