Saturday, January 10, 2009

Scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects

Levitating object via quantum mechanics
Boy, this I have to tell you! I I got this from Yahoo News and told myself this news is worth sharing. I am relating the principle involved here as similar to the one that makes my levitating toy work! The toy is called LEVITRON. I have it a few years back and I tell you, I am still struggling up to now on how to make it work properly. Here's the Yahoo News in its short version:

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. scientists have found a way to levitate the very smallest objects using the strange forces of quantum mechanics, and said on Wednesday they might use it to help make tiny nanotechnology machines. They said they had detected and measured a force that comes into play at the molecular level using certain combinations of molecules that repel one another.

The repulsion can be used to hold molecules aloft, in essence levitating them, creating virtually friction-free parts for tiny devices, the researchers said. Federico Capasso, an applied physicist at Harvard University in Massachusetts, whose study appears in the journal Nature, said he believed that detection of this force opened the possibility of a whole new class of tiny gadgets.

The team, including researchers at the National Institutes of Health, has not yet levitated an object, but Capasso said he now knows how to do it. "This is an experiment we are sure will work," he said. His team has already filed for patents.


Just like any other technology, it's already there! Just need to get the "proper combination". I am relating this to my levitating top that applies the principle of magnetism to make it work. I am expecting more news on this within the year. Good works by these scientists! Here's a short video of how my toy works:

1 comment:

  1. Hey, guys! If you are just near my place, I am inviting you to come & try playing this incredible levitating toy. It's a great feeling once you have made it "float" for about a minute! Fantastic! Challenge me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome!

Links